Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Healthy Eating in a Crazy Season

I am just coming up on my 1 year anniversary of reaching my Weight Watchers goal. In 2008/2009 I lost 75 pounds with WW. (!) I'm now in maintenance. Which means that I still count my points and track all of the food I eat. And stay within my point target. Every day. This is why I was able to lose 2 pounds on our cruise instead of gain 5 pounds. And stay on track over Thanksgiving, despite all the tasty food.

But the next couple of weeks are going to be really busy. In addition to our regular (already busy) schedule, here's what we've got planned:

  • 10th - Work Holiday Luncheon, Holiday Party #2
  • 11th - Christmas Concert and eating out
  • 12th - Christmas Concert and Holiday Party #3
  • 14th - Handbell Concert #2 (at the San Diego Zoo!) - dinner out
  • 15th - Handbell Concert #3 (at the San Diego Zoo!) - dinner out
  • 17th - Holiday Party #4
  • 19th - Ice Skating Event
  • 20th - Handbell Concert #4, holiday brunch, Holiday Party #5
  • 21st - dinner with my parents (coming to town for Christmas!)
  • 22nd - Disneyland Day!
  • 24th - Christmas Eve Dinner
  • 25th - Christmas Breakfast, Christmas Dinner
  • 26th to 30th - Vegas!

We've got so many opportunities for eating... and over-eating over the next couple of weeks. I've been very good about eating healthy meals in healthy portions, saying "no" to the food I don't really want to eat (and also to the food that I know I shouldn't eat)... but with the crazy schedule over the next few weeks, all of the festive and tasty food, as well as that great will-power-sapper fatigue, I think my strength will be tested!

I'll have to use my WW strategies:

  1. Keep on top of hunger (if I let myself get too hungry, I'll eat whatever is there!)
  2. Choose the healthy option
  3. Eat reasonable portions (this is not the last meal I will ever eat!)
  4. Remember that the first bite tastes the same as the last bite (one bite of a treat is often enough)
  5. Remember all of the hard work I have done to get here! (nothing tastes as good as thin feels!)

I think this will get me through the holidays. What tricks do you have to keep you on track?


Zentmrs Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to tell you I joined WW@Work a few months ago and already lost 7lbs!

    What has definitely helped me is tracking what I eat every day and knowing how many points each food is worth... If I know how many points something bad is most of the time I will decide its not worth it!! I guess that's why eating out is so hard if you don't know the points!

    Best of luck this holiday season!!
    I'd love to hear any other tips or tricks you know!! Or any other resources you use!

    Liz T.

    ReplyDelete