Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tuesday Garden Party

We bought a bird bath when we first moved into our house. We filled it, but it would be empty by the time we got home from work the next day.


Makes sense. We live in a desert climate basically. Hot and dry. We tried for a while to keep the bird bath full, but eventually, we just gave up.


And so it sat. Lonely and empty in the backyard.


Until this winter.


This winter, The Mr built me a beautiful fountain in our bird bath, made from wine bottles and a wine rack. LOVE it! And the birds? Love it too!


And then? Just this month, we put an arbor over it. We're growing jasmine up the sides. Jasmine is one of my favorite plants - the scent is just beautiful. And you can also see our topsy-turvy planters hanging from it.



A closer look at the fountain. It's hooked into our irrigation system so that when the water level gets low, it automatically fills up!

I love listening to the sound of the fountain at night as we go to sleep. And hearing the birds in the morning as they splash in it. Everyone should have a water feature in their yard!

We'll take a closer look at the planters next week. But in the meantime, check out An Oregon Cottage for her weekly Garden Party.


What's in YOUR garden this week?


Zentmrs
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I have a fountain in our back yard and I love to listen to it. Unfortunately it got much colder than usual in GA this year and it frozen during February (we usually leave it running year round) and burst the tubing. Apparently the tubing is not a standard size and we can't seem to find a replacement. I miss my fountain!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that I were creative enough to think of something like that! We have a nice wind chime on our deck that is perfect when we have a slight breeze - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about using what you have- kudos to the Mr. for creating such a great thing out of old bottles! And hooking it to your water system? Brilliant!

    Thanks for sharing at the Tuesday Garden Party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fountain! The sound of running water is so relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun and unique idea. Hmmm, I think this might give me an excuse to drink some wine??? Just so I could make a fountain, of course:)
    Thanks for sharing... on Jami's garden tour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really creative to use wine bottles for a fountain! Looks great. I planted my flower pots this past week and blogged about them for Tuesday Garden Party. Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete