Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Snapshot - Surprises!

We had a gorgeous San Diego day today. The Mr and I spent some time in the yard - I raked and raked up eucalyptus leaves. I love the trees - they grow fast and give our house lots of shade,
but they are messy!

I cleaned tons of leaves out of our enormous aloe plant that lives under one of our eucalyptus trees. Less than 10 minutes later The Mr finds this little lady in the aloe plant, just where I had been clearing leaves - surprise!    She built that web really quickly!

(I won't zoom in any further - she's kind of intimidating!)

We had a great haul in our CSA box this week. A couple of things I had never cooked with before.




With some of our CSA take I made Eggplant Parmesan with zucchini (surprise!).  Kind of Zuggplant Parmesan.  I modified a recipe I found from Cooking Light.









Wow!  This was fantastic!  I was totally surprised at how much I liked it!

We served it with delicious homemade whole grain bread and roasted asparagus.


Probably the biggest surprise was that The Boy liked it! Ate his entire plate of it.





We also had the most amazing dessert.  Strawberry Rhubarb Souffle.  I was surprised that it came out perfectly, had the most amazing light texture and sweet-tart rhubarb flavor, and was incredibly light calorie-wise.  Surprisingly I didn't get any pictures.  :-(

What a wonderful harvest dinner.  We are really enjoying our CSA - seasonal dinners are fun!








Ni Hao Y'all




Zentmrs

Mhnaty! Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Zuggplant, what a great name! That's interesting that the CSA lettuce (I assume they are lettuce?) came with roots intact, so you could put them in water like that. I bet they last a lot longer that way!

    ReplyDelete