Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Monday, June 18, 2012

Harvest Monday - June 18, 2012

This week was not great for harvesting.  We're kind of between peas and tomatoes and corn.  All we got (aside from various herbs) was a few handfuls of strawberries.



Not that I am complaining (though it sounds like I am) - the strawberries have been super-tasty this year, but I'd like to get into the summer produce.  Perhaps I should plant earlier.  I'll have to remember for next year.


Since I didn't have much to show from the garden, I thought I would share a recipe I made today with ingredients I mainly purchased as opposed to grew, but am looking forward to when I can use my garden bounty for this!


Peppers and Cherry Tomatoes with Buttermilk Basil Dressing

Ingredients
  • 3 cups red and yellow cherry tomatoes, halved if large
  • 3 cups red and orange bell peppers, large-diced
  • 1 jalapeno, finely diced (I like a little heat so did not remove the ribs and seeds... you can if you like it milder... you can even leave it out entirely if you have delicate taste buds...)
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced


Directions
  1. Put the cherry tomatoes, bell peppers and jalapeno in a large serving bowl.

  2. Season with salt and pepper and toss.
  3. In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sour cream, basil, shallot and garlic. Season with pepper.   (I use a measuring cup instead of another bowl - saves on the dishes)

  4. Drizzle the dressing over the tomatoes and toss.


I think it tastes better after it has been sitting a bit, and I like it nice and cold.  So I put it in the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving.







Total Harvest for the Week: 8.2 ounces
Total Harvest for the Year: 25 pounds, 14 ounces

 We'll have a few tomatoes this week, and probably some more strawberries.  And hot peppers.

 Linked up with Daphne's Dandelions Harvest Monday... hop on over and see what else is being picked this week.

Zentmrs
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. those strawberries look so succulent and delicious! yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That recipe looks delicious! This time of year is always hard for me, you are waiting and waiting for all the summer crops to be ready. I check my tomatoes every day and the dang things never seem to get any riper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your berries look yummy and your recipe sounds really good too.

    ReplyDelete