Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Recipe - Grilled Artichokes with Herb Aioli

We picked up some artichokes at the farmer's market this week, and I pulled out this recipe that I've wanted to try for a while.  I've never grilled artichokes before - I've always had them steamed and served with butter, which I love.  I thought I would try something new though, and I think we found a great recipe here.





Grilled Artichokes with Herb Aioli

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped shallot 
  • 1/4 cup olive oil 
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 
  • 1 tablespoon chopped basil or cilantro 
  • Salt and pepper 
  • 2 jumbo or extra-large artichokes


Herb Aioli: 

  • 1/3 cup stale bread crumbs 
  • 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar 
  • 6 to 8 cloves garlic 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 6 egg yolks 
  • 1 1/2 cup olive oil 
  • White pepper 
  • Hot pepper sauce 
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil or cilantro 
  • Caviar, for garnish 


Directions 
  • Mix the garlic, shallot, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil or cilantro, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. 
  • Steam artichokes, drain and cool.


  • Cut the steamed artichokes in half and remove the chokes.  Place the artichokes in the mixture and marinate for 15 to 20 minutes. 




  • To make the aioli: combine bread crumbs, white wine vinegar, garlic, salt, and egg yolks in a food processor. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil to make an emulsion. Add white pepper and hot sauce, to taste. Add fresh basil or cilantro and pulse to combine. 
  •  Preheat a grill. 
  • Remove the artichokes from the marinade and place on char-broiler or barbecue fire with the leaves of the artichoke up. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes depending on fire temperature. 


  • Remove from fire and garnish with herb aioli and caviar of choice.




These were quite tasty.  I had baby artichokes so used them instead of the jumbo size, but I think this would be better with larger artichokes.  We had leftover aioli - and we'll certainly put that to good use!

Have you grilled artichokes?  Do you have a great recipe to share?



Zentmrs
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love artichokes but I've never thought to grill them. I have to try this; the aioli sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing at Whatcha Whipped Up Wednesday

    ReplyDelete