Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sweet Vanilla Lemonade

This is a tasty treat, with a surprising hint of vanilla.  And it is sugar free!

We planted stevia in our herb garden this year and have yet to really use it - until tonight.  Instead of using sugar or Splenda to sweeten our lemonade, I made a simple syrup with stevia.  Sweet!


Sweet Vanilla Lemonade

Ingredients:
2 lemons (I used Meyer because they have a delicious, fragrant flavor and they grow in my garden, but any lemons will work)
1/2 cup chopped stevia
3 strawberries (optional)
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups of water, plus ice




Directions:

1.  Place the stevia and two cups of water in a small pan.  Bring to a boil and turn off the heat.  Steep for several minutes.   Taste the syrup - you can add more stevia if it is not sweet enough and steep for a bit longer.



2.  Strain into a medium bowl.

3.  Squeeze the lemons into the stevia syrup.

4.  Add the vanilla and the juice (or pulp) of three strawberries if desired.



5.  Add 2 cups of the remaining water and taste to make sure the lemonade is not too concentrated.  If it is, add more water.  If necessary, add some Splenda (mine was quite sweet, but I would have added something if it wasn't because I like my lemonade on the sweet side).

6.  Add ice to two glasses and pout the lemonade over the ice.  Enjoy!




There you have it - a cool, tasty drink for your hot summer afternoon!



Zentmrs
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. That sounds divine and I'm jealous lemons grow in your garden? Wow. Citrus growing in your yard. I really can't get over that. It's high time I move to Southern California or Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so refreshing. I found this via Simple Living with Diane Balch. I linked in a salad I made using leftover lamb. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete