Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Killer Blondies

My Grandma used to bake lots of great treats.  Her cookie jar was always filled with something delicious - one of my favorites was Sour Cream Drop Cookies.  Another delight from Grandma's oven was blondies.  Blondies are like brownies, only without the chocolate.  I love chocolate, but sometimes it's nice to have a change.  I've adapted this recipe from my Grandma's recipe.





Killer Blondies

Ingredients:
  • 8 tablespoons  butter, melted
  • 1 cup  brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla 
  • Pinch salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 toffee candy bars such as Heath bars
  • 1 recipe Brown Sugar Frosting (below)


Directions:

Butter an 8×8 pan



Mix melted butter with brown sugar – beat until smooth. Beat in egg and then vanilla.



Add salt, stir in flour. Break up the candy bars and mix them into the batter.



Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350°F 20-25 minutes, or until set in the middle.






For the Brown Sugar Frosting:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • ¼ cup milk
  • 2 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted





To make the frosting, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk. Bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Sift in the confectioner’s sugar, mixing until smooth. Spread evenly over blondies.



Let frosting set before cutting into squares, about 30 minutes.



These are aptly names I think.  So yummy.  I brought them to the office - my co-workers complained that they were too rich to eat more than one but they had to take a second one anyway!  I think that's a good testimonial.




Zentmrs
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. These look positively delicious! Can't wait to try the recipe. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - if you do try the recipe, stop back and let me know how you liked it. Just a tip - cut them small! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are great! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love blondies! They are one of my favorite desserts. Thanks for sharing at Church Supper. Have a blessed week & come back soon ~EMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! These look amazing! I haven't ever made Blondies but I'm going to now. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week. Have a great week.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete