Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Pumpkin Coffee Cake


I like sweet pastry in the morning.  If I could have a gingerbread latte and some coffee cake every day, I'd be a happy girl.

I was looking to make something for breakfast, but wanted something on the healthier side.  I've always like Bisquick coffee cakes, so I adapted their recipe to be lower in fat and sugar, and higher in fiber.  Here's how:



Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Ingredients:

Cake

  • 2 cups Bisquick
  • 1 can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie)
  • 1 can orange soda

Topping

  • 1/3 cup Bisquick
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Roasted pumpkin seeds to garnish


Directions:


Heat oven to 375.  Grease 8 x 8 square pan.  Stir all cake ingredients in medium bowl.  Spread in pan.






Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl (except pumpkin seeds).  Sprinkle topping of cake mixture.  Top with roasted pumpkin seeds.





Bake 18-22 minutes, or til golden.






This coffee cake was amazingly moist and light.  Not too sweet, but just about right.  And, if you use sugar-free soda, quite low in calories.  Not a bad way to start your day!



Zentmrs
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Great job here. I have been enjoying your blog. Nice alternative to the many photo blogs I follow. Looking forward to trying some of your recipes. Keep them coming :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! this looks sooo delicious- i love using light sodas in cakes, so this is such a fun idea!! new follower from the hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen orange soda as an ingredient before!

    ReplyDelete