Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Friday, December 14, 2012

Santa Bread


My sister shared a picture of this bread that she found somewhere on the internet - and I knew I had to make it.  I decided to use my favorite Italian Bread recipe for my bread machine.. with a slight modification.  I thought it looked like a nice breakfast bread, so I added about 3/4 cup of sugar and a little vanilla.  

I used the dough cycle on my bread machine, and it came out looking like this:



With one half of the dough, shape into an elongated triangle with rounded corners for Santa's head and hat.




Divide the other portion in half. Shape and flatten one half into a beard. Using scissors or a pizza cutter, cut into strips to within 1 in. of top. Position on Santa's face; twist and curl strips if desired.







Use the remaining dough for the mustache, nose, hat pom-pom and brim. Shape a portion of dough into a mustache; flatten and cut the ends into small strips with scissors. Place above beard. Place a small ball above mustache for nose. Add another ball for pom-pom. Roll out a narrow piece of dough to create a hat brim; position under hat.






Cover loosely with a damp towel and let rise until doubled or about 30 minutes.


With a scissors, cut two slits for eyes; insert Hershey's kisses (raisins would work too) into slits. In two separate small bowls, beat and egg yolk. Add red food coloring to one yolk; carefully brush over hat, nose and cheeks. Brush plain yolk over remaining dough.







Cover loosely with foil. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-12 minutes longer or until golden brown.




Wouldn't this make a fantastic Christmas morning bread?  I took mine to the office and my co-workers devoured it!


Zentmrs

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment