Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Thursday, October 03, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread for the Bread Machine



I love tender and light Italian bread. Honestly, it is one of my very favorite things.  I know that, although white flour will certainly never kill me, whole wheat would be better.

But most breads made from whole wheat flour tend to be more dense and have a slightly darker flavor than their white flour equivalents..

And, even though I am in a {never-ending} effort to eat things that are more healthy for me, I am not willing to sacrifice the flavors and texture of my favorite bread.

So I thought I would try to see if I could modify my favorite Italian Bread recipe to use wheat flour.  Here's what I did:


Whole Wheat Bread for the Bread Machine

Ingredients:

  • 11/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons dough conditioner (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast


Directions:

Place all ingredients in bread pan in the order listed (or as per the directions for your bread machine.)  Select Medium Crust setting, the French Bread cycle and press Start.

Observe the dough as it kneads.  After 5 to 10 minutes, if it appears dry and stiff or if your machine sounds as if it's straining to knead the dough, add more liquid 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a smooth, soft, pliable ball that is slightly tacky to the touch.

 After the baking cycle ends, remove the bread from pan, place on cake rack and allow to cool 1 hour before slicing.

 Note:  I use the dough cycle, let it rise a second time in my covered stone French bread pan and then bake for about 25-35 minutes at 400F.



Looks just beautiful, doesn't it?  But the proof is in the taste and the texture.


And look at that - light texture.  Is it delicious?


Totally delicious!  While the wheat flour does add a sort of nutty flavor, this is very much light and airy Italian bread.  Exactly the way I like it.


Definite success!  Another batch is in the bread maker right now.  I look forward to dinner!


zentMRS - Love in the Kitchen
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment