Love in the Kitchen - making fast, healthy, homegrown meals you'll enjoy

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Apple and Basil Gazpacho


Today is Crazy Ingredient Challenge Day!  CIC is the headed up by Dawn at Spatula’s On Parade - this is one group of talented chefs who come up with these recipes each month, made with, well, crazy ingredients!


I knew exactly what I wanted to make when I heard that this month's ingredients were apples and basil.  I love both ingredients in both sweet and savory recipes.  The Apple and Basil Gazpacho I made is sort of a combination of both!


This is a super recipe for hot weather (something we've had a lot of lately).  And if you're not in the mood for something cold?  Try it hot - also delicious!


I love the flavor of the basil with the bright strong flavor of the apples.  I used cinnamon basil that I have growing in my yard - just the perfect flavor combination!


Before you get to my recipe, see what other fantastic recipes that my fellow Crazy Ingredient Chefs have made:







Apple and Basil Gazpacho

by Susan @ Love from the Kitchen
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes plus 3 hours to chi
Keywords: blender soup/stew Apple Basil
Ingredients (Serves 6)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced, plus one for garnish
  • 2 cups unsweetened apple juice
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped, plus several sprigs to garnish
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Instructions

  1. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
  2. Add the apples and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 8 minutes.
  4. Using an immersion blender, blend unti smooth.
  5. Stir in the heavy cream and remove from heat.
  6. Chill for three hours and serve cold.
Powered by Recipage


zentMRS - Love in the Kitchen
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Looks amazing. Nice use of the two ingredients this month

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cinnamon basil? I've never seen that, I bet this was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to use cinnamon basil but couldn't find it anywhere.

    ReplyDelete